Go to HOME to view all projects or select from menu
I am an experimental artist, researcher and educator working with collaborative, socially engaged, cross-disciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches in art and design. As artist and researcher I am exploring how digital media and new technologies can contribute to other research fields and disciplines, and be informed by them.
My research profile is here https://research.unsw.edu.au/people/dr-gail-kenning
My artistic practice takes the form of art books, data visualisation, programmed animation, video and photography and sculptural installation. I work at the intersection of data and digital media, and art, craft and design.
My primary areas of research are:
- The intersection of art and health
- The intersection of art and science
- Exploring through writing and creative practice how digital media, techniques and practices cause a reassessment of traditional values and challenge boundaries in relation to art, craft, and popular culture.
- Examining how digital media can be used to create tools for creativity and extend creative practice. I am currently exploring how we can extend domestic craft-based activities and create opportunities for play in order to contribute to health and wellbeing for the elderly and persons with dementia
- Being fascinated by and having worked for many years with data and data visualisations, I am also exploring how textiles can be used to render and visualise large data sets and reveal patterns, information and produce meaning.